Eat Tacos & Dance to Soul Jams in the Mission
We chose this date because it's, well, amazingly fun. Bring someone you're really crushing on for a Tuesday night taco-extravaganza, followed by slow dancing and perhaps a make-out session—the bar is called The Make-Out Room for a reason. When you get to the dance party, be sure to try one of the bar's signature margaritas—but beware, these margs are served in pint glasses!
Estimated Cost: Cheap
Estimate Duration: 2-5 hours
Best Days: Every Tuesday
Best Time: After 7pm
Vibe: This is a casual evening, where you'll be dining at order-at-the-counter taco joints. The Make-Out Room is a quirky Mission dive bar with cheap drinks, booth and bar seats, and streamers hanging from the sealing.
1. Start a taco crawl at La Taqueria on Mission.
La Taqueria is one the most reviewed and highest rated taquerias in SF. The line can be long, but fret not—it goes super fast as their friendly counter-service staff function like a well-oiled machine. As a bonus there are sometimes musicians playing for tips, and the owner is often giving roses to guests when you check out at the register.
- Veggie option available, but meat lovers should try the lengua taco (yep, that's beef tongue).
- Cash only but ATM in the back.
- Imported and Domestic cervezas available.
2. Walk to Mateo's for a second helping of tacos.
One of the newer Mexican food establishments in the neighborhood, Mateo's is already lauded by locals. On "Taco Tuesdays" like this one, you'll often find specials where you can get 2 tacos for around $9. We recommend the seafood varieties, like the Baja fish tacos or The Mission tacos, which combine shrimp and carne asada.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Beer & wine sold at the register.
- Horchata and agua frescas are on fleek.
- Pro-Tip: If you end up in a walk of 'shame' (aka fame!), pop in for breakfast sometime to sample their chilaquiles or bfast burritos.
3. Dance to '60s soul records at The Make-Out Room's Slow Jams Night
Once you've digested your smorgasbord of tacos, head over to The Make-Out Room on 22nd and Mission for a night of dancing to the best soul DJs around. DJ Primo is one of—if not the most prominent soul DJ in San Francisco. He, and his occasional guest jockey, spin amazing '60s R&B soul jams on vinyl while the disco ball spins. If you show up at 9:30 and the place looks empty, fear not—the crowds typically show up around 10:30/11pm. If you show up early, don't be afraid to get the dance party started. There will be dancing.
- Event is 21+ and there's no cover.
- The jams are flowing from 9:30pm-2am.
- Want to get a sense for DJ Primo's style? Watch this amazing video by Out of Focus TV.