Find A Hidden Bar & See A Show In Hayes Valley
We chose this because it gives you the most uninterrupted time together. From a counter service wine bar that allows you to decide when you are ready to order, to simply thanking your ticket taker at the live-music venue of your liking, you set the tone because romance doesn't have to be sappy.
Estimated Cost: Moderately Expensive
Estimate Duration: 2-4 hours
Best Days: Good any day of the week
Best Time: Anytime after 5pm
Vibe: Intimate atmosphere. We recommend nice casual to semi-formal attire, but this is SF so wearing you nicest chucks totally counts.
1. Head to Hôtel Biron, in a hidden alley in Hayes Valley
The second you start to feel trepidation about taking random internet advice directing you to walk down an alley at night, you've arrived! Not located in a hotel at all, and only marked by a circular orange "B" sign, Hôtel Biron is a quintessential romantic wine bar. Candles illuminate each table, local artwork adorns exposed brick walls, and each bistro table allows you to spend uninterrupted time, cozied up with your date while savoring wines from around the world.
- Counter service only.
- Credit cards accepted and you can order by the glass or bottle.
- Food options are available but limited to charcuterie, cheese, nuts, and olives.
2. Take in a live show at one of three nearby venues
- Artists like Yelle, The Breeders, Tove Lo, and Afrolicious have performed here.
- Be sure to check out their recurring Nerd Nite and Candi Pop shows.
- Explore the second-story balcony space to chill in a vintage rickshaw and watch the show from above the crowd.
- Check out the Film Series with the orchestra performing the score live while the film is projected on the big screen above—don't miss Star Wars this summer.
- Avoid the bar lines—order your intermission drinks in advance and get a lid so you can take it with you to your seat. Adult sippy cups FTW!
- See legendary music director Michael Tilson Thomas perform before his retirement in 2020.
- With over 300 performances a year by jazz artists and performers of other related forms of music, you're sure to find the right act for you.
- Tickets available online and often last minute tickets are available on the night of the concert at the box office—even when it shows 'sold out' online.